My Charter Company Area

Yacht Charter

fleet

Itineraries

Contacts

Search

 

Florida

Sailing in Florida is an unique experience....

Miami

Itineraries in Florida

 

Florida

The obvious question is how it is possible that a harbor have no name. Furthermore, to name this harbor with no name 'No Name Harbor' is something that is unusual all by itself.
According to Mr. Don Berg, one of the original land developers on Key Biscayne, and owner of the famous restaurant "The English Pub, and The Jamaican Inn" tells the story.  Mr. Berg says " Before the land became a park, it was privately held property. There were plans that were drawn up to make the acreage that  today is Cape Florida State Recreation area,  a development that included condominiums, residential and estate homes and everything else that makes up a first class development."
"With nothing to start with, as the survey and planning stage was underway, the body of water that is today "No Name Harbor" had no name, so that is what was written on the architectural renderings.  Where the plans had the harbor drawn, in the middle of the harbor is written "No Name Harbor".   The development, of course never came to be, but the name "No Name Harbor" stuck.  The harbor with no name  today is officially named and recognized as  "No Name Harbor".

The bay has been known by several names. Juan Ponce de León called it Chequescha in 1513. Pedro Menéndez de Avilés called it Tequesta in 1565. The British, during their occupation of Florida, called the bay Cape River, Dartmouth Sound, and Sandwich gulph. Hernando de Escalante Fontaneda related that a sailor from the Bay of Biscay called the Viscayno or Biscayno had lived on the lower east coast of Florida for a while after being shipwrecked, and a 17th century map shows a Cayo de Biscainhos, the probable origin of Key Biscayne. The bay was known as Key Biscayne Bay in the 19th century, finally shrinking to Biscayne Bay late in the 19th century.

Elliott Key was used on a transient basis for millennia by Tequesta Indians, and later by fishermen and wreckers from the Bahamas and the lower Florida Keys. The earlier name for the key was Ledbury Key, named after a snow that was driven ashore in 1769. There are legends of Elliott Key and adjacent keys being used as a refuge by pirates and escaped slaves. The chief pirate of legend is Black Caesar, who is said to have escaped from a slave ship, and used Elliott Key as his base. The key was inhabited and the site of pineapple plantations in the latter part of the 19th Century and the first half of the 20th Century. In 1910 there were more than a dozen families raising pineapples on Elliott Key where an average crop was 50,000 to 75,000 dozen fruits, mostly sent by schooner to New York.

In the 1950s it was proposed to build a causeway (across the Safety Valve) and highway from Key Biscayne to Key Largo, connecting Elliott Key and other keys to the mainland and the rest of the Florida Keys. This led to the incorporation of the city of Islandia, Florida, encompassing the keys north of Key Largo up to the Ragged Keys. In anticipation of the highway, and to forestall designation of the northernmost keys as a park, developers cleared most of the land on Elliott Key and dredged channels around it. With the establishment of the Biscayne National Monument in 1968 and purchase of private property in the park by the Federal government, development of the highway and of Elliott Key was halted, and the money that was allocated for the proposed causeway was used to build a replacement Card Sound Bridge connecting northern Key Largo to the mainland.

Key Largo's proximity to the Everglades also makes it a premier destination for kayakers and ecotourists. Automotive and highway pioneer and Miami Beach developer Carl G. Fisher built Key Largo's famous Caribbean Club in 1938 as his last project.

The island gained fame as the setting for the 1948 film Key Largo, although it was filmed entirely on a Warner Brothers sound stage in Hollywood except for background location filming used for establishing shots. The island's post office in Rock Harbor, which had been named after a nearby cove, changed its name to Key Largo after the film's success and pressure from local businessmen. It did this so that everyone living north of Tavernier would have a Key Largo address and the cancellation would say Key Largo instead of Rock Harbor.

Itineraries Florida

Florida

 

.bookayacht Capitale sociale: 20.000